For the best experience on mobile, check out the Moore Blatch mobile app FREE

Get it on Google Play

023 8071 8000

Request a callback   |


023 8071 8000

or request a callback


Getting the right consent and protecting it is vital for any business that relies on a licence from a Local Council.

Legislation and policy is constantly evolving and it is essential that you get the appropriate advice and representation for your business..

Moore Blatch offer a comprehensive service that covers a complete range of local authority licensing regimes including alcohol licensing, late night refreshment, entertainment, gambling and taxis. We have many years’ experience in providing a commercially focused, diligent and fearless service to our clients.

Download our licensing factsheet here.

Licensing Act 2003 – alcohol, entertainment and late night refreshment licences

Whether you:

  • operate a bar, club, pub, cinema, theatre, restaurant or shop; or

  • need a new licence; or

  • are seeking a variation of an existing licence; or

  • are subject to a premises licence review or refusal,

Our professional licensing lawyers will give you the advice that you need to get the best possible result, whatever the circumstances. You will receive expert guidance on all the licensing, regulatory and compliance requirements relating to your licence. You will also be guided on any matters raised by the various responsible authorities involved with your licence, including the police, fire brigade, and the various sections within the Council.

We provide advice and representation on:

  • All types of premises licence applications, including full and minor variations, DPS and transfers.

  • Enforcement problems with the police or licensing authority relating to alleged breaches of licensed hours, conditions or provision of unauthorised licensable activities.

  • Closure notices and closure orders.

  • Licence reviews, which can result in revocation, suspension or changes to times and conditions on licences and club premises certificates.

  • Other enforcement issues with the Council, such as noise complaints and noise abatement notices.

  • Personal licence applications.

  • Temporary Event Notices (TENs).

  • Late Night Levy and Early Morning Restriction Orders (EMROs).

Gaming and other licence types

Along with matters related to the Licensing Act other common licences we advise on include:

  • Gambling Act 2005:

    • Adult Gaming Centres (AGC) and Family Entertainment Centres (FEC), which are often referred to as amusement arcades.

    • Betting, bingo and casino premises licences.

    • Gambling temporary use and occasional use notices

    • Lotteries and competitions

    • Prize gaming and gaming machine permits

  • Massage and Special Treatment (MST), including tattooing, acupuncture and piercing

  • Sex establishment premises, including Sexual Entertainment Venues (SEV)

  • Street trading

  • Sports grounds

  • Tables and chairs (or street café) licences

Examples of our work include:

  • Advising on and submitting applications for various types of premises including hotels, restaurants, cafes, hotels, sports clubs and night clubs.

  • Gaining new contested licences for clients in cumulative impact zones.

  • Negotiating conditions and modifications to licence applications in order to avoid a hearing and obtain consent.

  • Coordinating and guiding both planning and licensing application for the same premises to ensure compatibility and success.

  • Representing and advocating for licence holders in Court and Council proceedings dealing with review applications and expedited reviews.

  • Having an application for a closure order withdrawn by the Council before it was dealt with by the Magistrates’ Court, which secured the client’s licence whilst avoiding expensive litigation.

  • Preparing evidence and making submissions in relation to licensing appeals.     

If you are looking for legal advice regarding how to get a pub licence or any other potential premises licensing listed here, Moore Blatch solicitors can offer the expert knowledge you require.

It is highly recommended that you seek legal assistance when looking to obtain bar licenses, so get in touch with our team today by contacting Bernard Ralph.


Request a callback

All fields marked with an asterisk are mandatory