For the best experience on mobile, check out the Moore Blatch mobile app FREE

Get it on Google Play

023 8071 8000

Request a callback   |


023 8071 8000

or request a callback

"There was transparency from the word go. I would never hesitate to go back in the future."

A private client: family team

"The team as a whole is excellent. They conduct good communications across departments as well."

A private client: family team

"They provide excellent service. They are immediately responsive and sensitive but provide straightforward and clear advice."

A private client: family team

"Jan is extremely knowledgeable and professional, compassionate as well, and pretty tenacious. She went above and beyond the call of duty."

A private client: family team

"Very good and efficient"

A private client: family team

"Debra is a well-regarded collaborative lawyer who acts for professionals, business owners and armed forces personnel."

Chambers and partners 2017

"Jan Galloway specialises in cross-border cases and is capable of handling both financial and children work which spans multiple jurisdictions."

Chambers and partners 2017

"Katy conducts good quality work in larger and complex private law matters. She is very thorough and establishes a good rapport."

Independent third party: family

"Jan Galloway understands how international private law issues operate in children cases"

Independent third party: family

"The ‘efficient and capable’ team at Moore Blatch LLP has worked on several pre-nuptial agreements and high-value divorce cases in 2015."

Legal 500 2016

"Jan fought very hard, and was sensible at the same time."

Market commentator: family

"Jan is such a people person. She protects the client but she works for the benefit of the family, and she has good judgment."

Market commentator: family

View All > >


Separation is a time when you need information and guidance as to where you stand.

If your relationship has broken down and you and your partner agree to separate, as opposed to getting a divorce, we can help to ensure you have arrangements in place for your children, finances and jointly owned assets.

Most couples in this situation find it helpful, either as a precursor to divorce or simply to know where everybody stands, to enter into a 'Separation Agreement' ('Deed of Separation' as they are sometimes known). If you plan to separate for a period of two years and then get a divorce, we advise speaking to us so that any agreements made between you both are clearly documented.

We have known couples to reconcile after a period of separation and feel reassured that they had the support of a solicitor to make clear arrangements for the children, finances and assets, which helped in the long term when they got back together and had to revisit agreements for the future.

We will advise on everything you need to know so you can make the best decision for you. We will take care of all the documentation for you, covering as much or as little detail as you wish.

Contact us

For more information and to make an appointment at our Southampton office, please contact Debra Emery.

For Richmond and City appointments please contact Jan Galloway.

Adultery after separation

Be aware that adultery can still take place even though a married couple are separated and that such adultery can be relied upon within a divorce petition, provided it is acted upon within 6 months of knowledge.

Making arrangements for the care of your children

It is very important that you give very careful consideration to the arrangements for your children when you separate from your partner. The older the child or children, the more likely that they will want to be involved in any discussions around these arrangements, and will want to express an opinion. Read more detailed information about arrangements for children.

Interestingly, be aware that adultery can still take place even though a married couple are separated and that such adultery can be relied upon within a divorce petition, provided it is acted upon within 6 months of knowledge .

Property rights

There is no automatic or other alteration of property rights simply because a couple have separated. If you jointly own a property that will remain the case regardless of separation. If property in which you consider you have an interest in, is owned solely by your spouse, it is usually prudent to register a Matrimonial Homes Rights Notice against the title of that property to prevent it being sold, mortgaged or otherwise dealt with whilst you are separated – possibly without your knowledge. We can prepare this notice for you and give you any advice you need.

Request a callback

All fields marked with an asterisk are mandatory