Carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning affects a worrying amount of people every year.
The gas is generated from an insufficient oxygen supply which is required to complete the oxidation process into carbon dioxide (CO2). The main source of this problem is from household appliances such as boilers, gas fires, cookers and open fires.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can vary in severity depending on the length of exposure to the gas. Initially you could experience, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and headaches but if you are exposed to gas for longer periods of time symptoms can affect your nervous system and heart. There have also been deaths from prolonged exposure to the gas.
If you think that you have been exposed to carbon monoxide it is important that you visit your GP to obtain a firm diagnosis with blood samples being sent for testing to confirm what has caused the problem. If you or a member of your family have been exposed to carbon monoxide caused by negligence of another, you may be able to claim compensation.